Terrell Hills is a suburban community off the old Austin Highway five miles northeast of downtown San Antonio in central Bexar County. The community was named for Frederick Terrell, who promoted the area as a residential addition in the late 1920s. One business and a population of 1,236 were reported there in 1930. The community incorporated as a municipality on May 1, 1939, but in 1945 San Antonio annexed the town without an election in either community. Terrell Hills filed a lawsuit to prevent the action, and the court voided the annexation. Late in 1957 Terrell Hills adopted a home-rule charter. The town more than doubled in population, from 2,708 in 1950 to 5,572 in 1960. Later its population slowly decreased, falling to 4,838 by 1980 and 4,592 by 1990.